Thursday, February 25, 2010

Loaves #5 + 6: "Cracked Wheat" Bread



I have been using bulgar wheat more often in my cooking. I really like the consistency of it- I just made a great dinner of bulgar, wilted spinach, onions, garlic, and feta- very tasty! So it was perfect timing when I found this recipe on the New York Times webpage.

I haven't made a bread with a "sponge" before, but there it is- basically all the ingredients except 1/3 of the flour, some oil and some salt. The first part of this was really easy- I whisked it in my standing mixer.



After letting it rise for an hour, the directions said to fold in a cup of flour and place some more on the kneading surface before dumping the dough onto it. This turned into quite a mess until I got enough flour into the loaf! I probably added 1/4 c. extra before it stopped sticking to everything.



I only have one loaf pan so I called upon a trusty casserole dish to act as the second pan.



Observations: Next time, I will make just one loaf with this recipe- it didn't rise nearly as high as I thought it would! I have kinda stumpy loaves! Great chewy consistency- the bulgar doesn't become mushy so it has some nice graininess. Might try putting some seeds into this one.

Consumed with: toasted with butter! also, sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment