Friday, February 5, 2010

Parsnip Cake, eh?



So theres a running joke here about parsnips that comes from this Homestar Runner cartoon. Strong Bad's famous line "parsnip soup, eh? we'll make parsnip pie!" has been thrown around this house for the past year.

So when I asked Dave what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday, and he replied "oh, I'm not picky" I threatened that I was going to make him Parsnip Cake!

So thats what I did. I borrowed from a couple different carrot cake recipes and made my own recipe:



Parsnip Cake
2c sugar- 1 brown, 1 white
3/4c oil
mix these together. then beat in:
4 eggs
after blended, add:
2t baking soda
2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t cinnamon
2t vanilla
1/4t nutmeg
mix together. then add:
2c whole wheat pastry flour
once fully mixed, fold in:
3c grated parsnips
1c chopped pecans
bake at 350F for 40-50min until toothpick comes out clean.



For the icing I also blended a couple recipes to create my own:

Orange Scented Cream Cheese Frosting
1 package cream cheese, room temp.
6T butter, room temp.
1 1/2c powdered sugar
1t vanilla
zest from one orange
beat together. add water 1T at a time to desired consistency.



I wasn't sure how well it would turn out -obviously it didn't smell like carrot cake, although it had a nice spicy scent to it. Frosted up beautifully and I presented it with a huge cut parsnip on top, just in case someone wasn't sure. The cake got rave reviews from everyone at the party- and second slices were had by all. Great spicy flavor, heavy cake but not very sweet, which was great! I will definitely make this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment