Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Loaf #2: French White, second loaf


after baking for 10 minutes

This is the second half of the dough I made yesterday. It sat in the fridge for ...17 hours, then I put it near the heater in the dining room to come to room temperature while I went for a 2 hour walk. Upon my return, I pulled it out, dusted my fingers with flour, and didn't even bother putting it on the counter- just kneaded it a bit with my hands- mostly while shaping it into a boule. I noticed some nice, juicy bubbles forming, which I popped in delight.

Put the boule in a lightly floured dish towel in the same silly green colander, near the heater. An hour later I checked the dough and it didn't look like it had risen at all and was cold to the touch, so I moved it on top of the heater and turned up the house heat to turn the furnace on... probably my big mistake.

After just over 2 hours of rising, I prepared to put the loaf in the oven at 450F. Problem- the dish towel stuck to the dough - just where it was pressing against the colander. I think I parbaked it on the heater! So the top of this one is much more messy- yikes!

Misted the oven twice (at start and 10 minutes later). Baked for 30 minutes.



Observations: this one got a much darker crust, but I think it was a better crust- a little tougher/chewier, just a bit thicker, in a good way. Still not a crusty, flaky, crunchy crust.



The crumb was less gummy, lighter. I did a better job of scoring the top. The boule spread out a bit when I first put it on the pizza stone- but I think that was in part because I had to manhandle it so much to unstick it from the towel. This one is a more even round shape, although somewhat football shape in section.



I was able to compare this one directly to loaf #1 because we didn't finish that one yet (I baked this one early so I could take it to the Green Chair craft night). Definitely an improvement all around. Is that from the longer rise time? Longer time in the oven? Fewer misting sessions?

Consumed with: cambozola cheese, hummus, TJ's microwavable indian food

No comments:

Post a Comment