Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Whats the big idea here?

So I have been doing quite a bit of cooking since I was laid off last May 15th. Its nice to have time to try new recipies, and to have the patience to make something that will take more than an hour.

One of my goals this year is to make more bread. Compound this idea with the realization that most good loaves of bread available at Whole Foods up the street are at least $5.00- and Dave and I can eat through that in two days! So I decided to start making bread at home- something that I've always thought I didn't have enought time or foresight to do. Now that I'm at home most of the day, I can work my schedule around bread!

Of course the first book I turned to was Dave's Breads From La Brea Bakery which details the lengthy process of creating your own sourdough starter, feeding it three times a day (recommended in all seriousness!) and the idea was nearly a non-starter. However, I decided to start out simple, and maybe some day work my way up to sourdough absolutely from scratch.

Also, I'm really writing this as a personal record of ingredients used, results, and improvements to be made- not sure if I will be sharing it. You should feel lucky if you read this!

So without further ado, here is my journey into breadmaking... and there will probably be a few one-pot meals thrown in for good measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment