Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tortillas



Last weekend I woke with a craving for breakfast burritos. I had made a great pot of sweet-spicy black beans (yet another Goldmyer creation!) during the week. We had plenty of eggs and veggies... but I didn't want to go to the store to buy tortillas. So I found a recipe in, of course, How to Cook Everything and figured I'd give it a shot!



Observations: the recipe is basically flour, water and fat (butter)- there is no rising agent. For best results it suggests letting the dough sit for up to an hour, although not required. I probably gave it 45 min. My dough was really stiff. I tried kneading it in the food processor, as suggested, and I just ended up with granules of dough. So I hand kneaded it- still really stiff.



I rolled the disks out paper thin and cooked them in an ungreased cast iron skillet. It was a bit tricky to get the temperature and timing right so that they weren't doughy but also didn't dry out and become brittle. I think I did pretty well. Quite different than store bought which is sometimes too chewy/doughy for me. Next time I will try rolling them out a little thicker and see if that helps keep them flexible.



Consumed with: black beans, scrambled eggs with red peppers, chilli spiced sweet potato hash, cabbage (one head goes a long way!), and peach salsa. yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment