Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bedouin Bread and Portuguese Vegetable Stew

Had a long afternoon (probably raining) so I set about to make a dinner feast. The Bedouin Bread recipe came from the Horn of the Moon cookbook. I was looking for an easy bread that wouldn't take all day to make. This one was great because it only required one rise, about an hour, and was very flexible.



Bedouin Bread
1T yeast
1T honey
1 1/4c warm water
2t salt
3 1/2c mixed flour- I used 2c wheat, 3/4c white, 3/4c corn, but the recipe also suggests rye or rice. endless possibilities?

Dissolve yeast and honey in water, let sit 5 min. mix in flour and salt. knead, cut into 8 pieces. shape into rounds and roll until 1/4" thick. put on lightly greased cookie sheet, cover with damp cloth and let rise 1-2 hours until 1/2"-3/4" thick. Bake 5-8 min in at 500. Serve warm with butter.




Observations: this bread was really easy to make, had a nice sweet flavor thanks to the honey (could try maple syrup next?), nice texture, fast! I will definitely make it again.

Consumed with: Portuguese Vegetable Stew, from Jump Up and Kiss Me.



This stew took a little longer to prep- you have to roast the squash, sweet potatoes and carrots before putting them in the pot. But it was well worth the effort!



Smells great, tastes great, and I even forgot to put the beans in and it was still tasty! The spices are a great combination- cinnamon, garlic, cumin, paprika, marjoram (I think my marjoram is old). And I've been cooking with cabbage more- yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment